Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Thursday 13 February 2014

Granny Square Bag: Hearts & Rainbows

The story of a little granny square bag....

One afternoon last week hubby and I had to run a few errands along the "not-so-scenic-route".   Not wanting to be bored during the drive I grabbed my RAINBOW SQUARES on the way out.  There were only ten squares left after I had used the greens, blues and violets in another project.

I Managed to make each square 2 rows bigger during the drive and when I got home I just knew what I wanted to make.

So I quickly laid out the squares:


granny square bag


Joined them together with sc in lime green as per my diagram:

granny square bag

Brought the side squares around and worked them onto the top square and bottom half square.    Then I joined the sides of the front top squares to the sides of the back top squares.


granny square bag

Crochet two rows of sc aound the opening (doing a 3sc tog over the "v").

Made an edging row as follows:  *2ch, 1dc (into the top of any sc) skip one sc, ss into top of next sc* rep *to* all around opening;  ss into top of 2nd chain to close.    End off

As the bag is quite small I only made one strap (handle):
Foundation Row:   ch 110, sc into 2nd ch from hook, sc into each chain to end, 1sc then turn
Rows 2 - 4:  1sc into top of each sc from the previous row
Fold over and then work  Row 5, sc into top of sc on previous row and through corresponding start chain (so you will form a "tube")

Sewed the strap  in over the side join on the inside of the bag. 

And then embellish to your heart's content:


granny square bag

Photo taken indoors!


granny square bag

And this one taken outdoors!

Enjoy!!!!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you Zelna for this pattern looks wonderful. Wendy, not sure if commenting right and what a url is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! Perfect! Thank your for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  2. You are so clever, the beading adds a sort of blingy touch, and I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat - this bag would be perfect to play dress up if we were still little girls!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful colors. And those hearts are very cute.

    Miepie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It's so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely springy purse! Thank you for the tut-now I need to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zelna, I adore this bag of yours! I have just found your wonderful world of zootyowl and am so very happy! I love your designs and your blogspot! Thank you for your artistic abilities and tor sharing! I am working on this bag now! Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Natalie. I am happy to hear you are making this bag. Please feel free to share the photos on my Zooty Owl Facebook page!

      Delete
  7. How could I make this bigger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! You could make ten bigger squares if you only wanted to use ten squares, alternatively try the thirteen squares pattern which can be found here: http://zootyowlcards.blogspot.com/2014/03/13-granny-squares-bag-pattern.html. Please post photos on my Zooty Owl Facebook page when you have made your bag!

      Delete